EVALUATION THE POTASSIUM BROMIDE AND ZINC BROMIDE BRINES FOR WORKOVER OPERATIONS
Clear brines are used extensively as workover fluids because of their low damage characteristics. This work was conducted to study the physical properties of potassium and zinc bromide brines and the compatibility of these brines with different API gravity Saudi crude oils and formation water. Also, the effect of temperature on brine viscosity was studied. It was found that true crystallization temperature for potassium and zinc bromide brines were (-14 C) and (-25 C), respectively. These brines were found incompatible with the tested Saudi crude oils where stable emulsions were formed but light crude oil (42 OAPI) was compatible with potassium bromide. Also, potassium bromide brine showed compatibility with formation water while zinc bromide was incompatible with formation water because of NaCl scale precipitation. The tested brines have shown non-Newtonian (dilatants) behavior and the viscosity of brines decrease with increase in temperature. Viscosity — temperature correlations were found for the tested brines with high accuracy.
- Michael, J.E, Larry, T.W., and Shari D.N. Petroleum Well Construction, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1998.
- Schmidt, D.D., Hudson, T.E. Introduction to Brine Completion and Workover Fluids. Part 1, Chemical and Physical Properties of Clear Brines, Pet. Eng. Int. , August 1983 a, 80-96.
- KrooK, G.W. and Potter G.F. Introduction to Brine Completion and Workover Fluids, Pet. Eng. Int., September, 1983 b, 80-92.
- Foxenberg, W.F., and Smith, B.E. Solids Free Completion Fluid Optimize Rig Operation, Pet. Eng. Int. , January,1996 a, 27-30.
- API RP13J. Testing of Heavy Brines, 2nd Ed, Am. Pet. Inst. Mar. 1994.
- Ali, S.A., Javara , P.H., and Guenavd, J.H. Test High-Density Brines for Formatiom Water Interaction, Pet. Eng. Int. , July 1991 b, 31-37
- Foxenberg, W.F. and Smith, B.E. Solids-Free Completion Fluids Optimize Rig Operation, Pet. Eng. Int. , Feb., 1996 b, 63-69.
- Alieva , K.M., Akmatova, L.J. and Frolova, L.V. The synergism of IFHANGAS Inhibitor and De-emulsifiers Action on the Steel Corrosion and the oil Separation from Water, Journal of Qafqaz University, Vol.111, No.1, (2000).
- Anne, M.O. and Daniel, P.V. Viscosities for Completion Fluids at Temperature and Density, Paper SPE 86506, 2004.